Sunday, November 7, 2010

Stuffed French Toast


I'm not going to pretend that French toast isn't breakfast, but I actually really like breakfast for dinner.

I decided to make this for a bridal shower over the weekend. I made the pieces small so they could be finger food and it worked out nicely. I actually don't know if I've ever had stuffed French toast before. If I did, it wasn't that memorable. This was my first attempt at making it and I was happy with the results.

For an extra treat, serve it with homemade creme fraiche -- yes you can make your own! All you need is 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Measure into an airtight container, shake it up, set it on the counter for 24 hours, stir it, and then refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. Oh, and I add a few drops of vanilla to flavor it a little. It's wonderful.

Stuffed French Toast:

1 loaf white bread
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla

Mix ricotta and sugar in a bowl. To make the "finger" french toast, cut crusts off bread slices. Flatten slightly with your hand, spoon 2 teaspoons of ricotta mixture onto bread, fold in half and seal edges with your fingers.

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip stuffed bread into egg mixture and fry in buttered frying pan until done on both sides. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

Serve with creme fraiche.

1 comment:

  1. Laure, thanks for your kind words on my blog! And of course I remember you, and am very impressed with this blog. I will try one of these yummy looking recipes soon and will let you know how it goes. It is nice to connect with an old friend. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete